Friday, February 24, 2012

An Extra Blog and a Resource

I don't know how many of you are familiar with open-source software, but basically it is a free alternative to commercial software and programs.  (Such as OpenOffice rather than Microsoft Office.) 
Since some discussions we have had in class revolve around cost, perhaps there are alternatives out there for what we are wanting to do.  I found an excellent site that has links to download open source software with a brief description of the program, while also selecting which ones would be best for the education/teaching field. This is just one of the many places you can find Audacity for the podcast if you wish to use it.
A computer geek friend of mine absolutely loves open source software, and if he trusts it, I trust it.  These programs also allow people (like my friend) to edit the software in hopes of improving it so it can be shared again.  Anyway, something to look into.  If you like photoshop, or the idea of it without the price, try Gimpshop.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Ryan. That schoolforge.net site is pretty impressive. I wish we had time to go through a majority of those this semester! If you use any, please let us know how they work out for you. I think open source software is an excellent tool to utilize...and it's nice that you have a "computer geek friend" that you can trust for materials like this.

    I encourage the others to check out the site!

    PS. I finally posted why I became a teacher...I also encourage others to do so.

    ReplyDelete