Monday, February 20, 2012

Free Dinner

While on break at work, I found a tattered Sharon Herald and read an article about free after school dinner to children who qualify for free (and I believe reduced) lunches.  The article told of several states who have after school meal plans.  I think the school had to have over 60% poverty level students in order to receive the funding.  I thought it was a great idea.  Especially when the someone for the program pointed out that we (as teachers) expect a lot of concentration and work from a child who may be more worried about whether there will be food when he gets home.  By providing the basic three meals, perhaps we could see these students fill their full potential.  There is opposition, but the only voice they used in opposition came from radio Jackass (at least I believe that is his full title) Rush Limbaugh who said something along the lines of "free meals! *hwahf haha oink* why even bother sending the kids home?"  I can't imagine he has ever missed a meal, but maybe I'm the ass for thinking that we should take care of our American children in need.  I can't think of too many times I've ever had to go without (if there was a single time I had to do without the basics), but knowing people who have makes me see this as a good idea.  What are your thoughts on this?

After some searching I found the same article here if you want to read it yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan this is great!I too have been blessed that I have never had to think about where my next meal was coming from and I think that it can easily be taken for granted. As teachers we need to understand where our students are coming from to allow them to reach their full potential (whatever that means)When I was in field one our our "problem students" began throwing temper tantrums and my coop threw him in the prinicpal's office. While running her errands I asked him if everything was okay and he proceeded to tell me he was kicked out of his house over the weekend. I think my co-op would have approached the situation differently had she known but how can someone know something they do not take the time to ask? (Sorry ranting) Anyway, Rush Limbaugh is a jackass and clearly knows nothing about what students really need or basic human needs. We must do everything in our power to ensure that our students meet their basic needs before we can expect them to engage in learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am one of the fortunate kids who was able to either pack or buy lunch all my years of public education, I could not agree more that having to learn on an empty stomach, on top of what can be assumed is not a steady homelife, would be almost impossible. My sister is currently student teaching at New Castle, and she says the things she sees there are completely different than where she and I attended high school in our rural, isolated, farm community. The kids where she student teaches rarely eat at home, and some of the teachers have taken it upon themselves to keep granola bars and other foods in their rooms to feed their students. I know this might be breaking some lines, but I would love to be that teacher. The whole reason I want to do this is not just to teach, but to provide a place where kids can feel safe. And if I have to throw some granola bars in there cause my kids are hungry, I'm totally willing to do that too.

    ReplyDelete